J-1 Exchange visitors

Exchange visitors apply to sponsors of programs that have been approved by the U.S. Department of State for students, scholars, trainees, teachers, professors, researchers, specialists, physicians, international government visitors, camp counselors, au pairs, and special education exchange visitors. Many J-1 exchange visitors are required to return to their home country for two years before they may obtain certain other U.S. visas or become U.S. permanent residents. The two-year home residence requirement may sometimes be waived, however.